– Predictions for MLB Wild Card Wednesday: Jon Lester (pitching on only 3 days rest) will continue his cold streak as of late tonight against Baltimore. Lester is 14-0 with a 2.33 era in his career vs the Orioles, but he is also 1-3 with a 6.93 era in his last 4 games. Lester will be the downfall of the Sox, leaving the door wide open for the Tampa Bay Rays…..who will win the AL Wild Card tonight! David Price will have a quality start tonight against New York (despite a 0-5 record at home in his last 7 starts), helping Tampa secure that last playoff spot. The Yankees are getting ready for game 1 of the ALDS, so there effort will be lacking tonight to say the least. On the off-chance that both teams win their games tonight and this goes to a one game playoff, then I will still go with the Rays.
– By the way, what an epic collapse by Boston! It should have NEVER come down to the last game of the season to determine the Wild Card winner. Going 5-19 in September is simply unacceptable. This is a team with all the talent in the world, and if they don’t win the Wild Card, then this will be the biggest downfall in the history of baseball!
– Has anyone even noticed that the Atlanta Braves are choking just as badly as the Sox are? After holding a 8 1/2 game lead on September 6th, the Braves have lost 12 of their last 17 since then, blowing the lead entirely. Going into the last game of the season tied with Albert Puljols and the St. Louis Cardinals is never a good thing. Give me Chris Carpenter pitching the Cardinals to a win over the Houston Astros tonight, as the Braves fail in their efforts in Philadelphia, giving St. Louis the NL Wild Card.
– I am very happy to hear that Houston Texans RB Arian Foster appears to be back at full-strength and is getting the start this Sunday against Pittsburgh. This is a guy who led the NFL in rushing last season and was a huge red-zone force for Houston. I know RB Ben Tate filled in nicely during his absence, averaging 100.3 ypg and 4.3 ypc, but Foster is a more complete back overall. Tate will still see some carries with RB Derrick Ward still out and the team cutting Steve Slaton yesterday, but Foster will see a majority of the carries as he eases back into the offense. (P.S I also used a couple of #1 picks in some of my Fantasy Football leagues on Foster, so it’s finally nice to know that I may get a return on my investment now!)
– The Chicago White Sox fired their interim manager Joey Cora before he managed one game…..and through a text message none-the-less. Cora is expected to leave Chicago and join former manager Ozzy Guillen in Florida, but he was also told he would manage the White Sox last 2 games of the year. Obviously this is not the case anymore, as pitching coach Don Cooper will take over the duties. A text message though? A tad harsh if you ask me.
– I understand that the reporter was probably new to the job and trying to be clever with her questioning……but seriously…..a Star Wars reference? I have seen all 6 of the movies at least once and even I didn’t know what the heck she was hinting at with this question. It might have been easier to just ask Florida Coach Will Muschamp what his relationship is like with Alabama Coach Nick Sabin instead of throwing a Padawan reference in there.